Thursday, February 7, 2008

The campaign ends, but the man lives on


Today Mitt Romney officially suspended his campaign. That means that he keeps his delegates, but he is no longer campaigning or participating. In other words he's ending his run for presidency. He may use his delegates as a bargaining chip later on or he may just hand them over to McCain.
I just watched his speech, and it was honestly one of the best I have ever seen. He was so passionate and the crowd loved him. When he announced that he was ending his campaign the crowd was so disappointed, as was I. Romney was by far the best choice and he would have been the best candidate. He showed his class and explained why. This is an excerpt of what he said. He said that if he continued it would "forestall the launch of a national campaign and be making it easier for Sen. Clinton or Obama to win."
art.mitt.romney.20.ap.jpg

"In this time of war, I simply cannot let my campaign be a part of aiding a surrender to terror. This is not an easy decision. I hate to lose," the former Massachusetts governor said.

"If this were only about me, I'd go on. But it's never been only about me. I entered this race because I love America, and because I love America, in this time of war I feel I have to now stand aside for our party and for our country."

Mitt didn't officially endorse McCain, but he made it known that the Republican nominee needs to win in November, and him dropping out seals the deal for McCain, thus making it an indirect endorsement. I don't support McCain on many issues, and I believe he will be defeated in November (especially against Obama). But as a true Romney supporter I will follow his lead and support McCain against the democrats. I like Obama much more as a person than McCain, but I don't want to think about the negative implications that retreating from Iraq would have on our country. I remember what happened on 911 and the fear that I had. I don't want to face that again. Admitting defeat to the terrorists will not stop them from attacking us again. They hate us whether we are there or whether we are here, and retreating from there will not protect us here.
Mitt showed a real class act today, and at the same time he showed America what they are missing out on because of, in many cases, their inability to realize who would be the best for our great country.

4 comments:

Diana said...

Well put Daniel. I was very dissapointed To hear about Romney not continuing on. I really wanted to see him win. I am nervous now to see how things turn out.

Katie said...

I am pretty sad about this whole thing, and about the future of this country. I think Romney should run in 2012.

AJ and Cindy said...

Thanks for always writing everything that is going on and filling me in on everything. I am a little worried now :(

Babzanne Barker said...

NO NO NO to Obama!! He is incredibly liberal and as soon as he has to start talking about his record and his platform it will come out. I believe he would be easier for McCain to beat than Hillary if people pay attention to what he really stands for. He does have a lot more charm than McCain or Hillary though.